Readying for the Real World.
Our Summer Associates handle real work for real clients. Summer Associates interested in our transactional practice participate in Business Internships that pair them with partners who lead them through drafting assignments, involve them in client conference calls, and take them to board meetings and new client pitches. Those focused on our disputes-related practices take on research assignments, draft memoranda, participate in team strategy meetings, and accompany supervising lawyers to depositions and court sessions.
Our Summer Associates also take on less traditional projects. Recent Summer Associates have:
- Assembled news stories and human rights reports to support the political asylum application of our client, a Rwandan genocide survivor.
- Reviewed the opposition’s expert report and developed arguments in connection with a pleading to be presented to the International Court of Justice.
- Assisted our energy lawyers in drafting a report identifying the legal barriers to the development of microgrids in Massachusetts.
- Drafted a section of the firm’s training manual for the Volunteer Lawyers Project “Lawyer for a Day” program in Boston Housing Court, a Boston Bar Association effort to provide free legal assistance to tenants facing eviction, and accompanied the supervising attorney to Boston Housing Court.
- Assisted in a pro bono criminal representation by researching “role of the offense” and “sophisticated means” enhancements under the federal sentencing guidelines and by observing and reporting on the federal court trial of a co-defendant.
- Researched applicable rules and regulations and drafted a form of social media policy for our investment management clients.